Sunday, March 13, 2011

Getting a puppy

So after many years of my kids begging for a dog we finally got one. I never wanted one because I didn't want to be cleaning up pee from the puppy and him chewing up everything in the house. Then I started reading about the crate training and I thought that sounded perfect. So we researched what dog would be best for our family and we decided on a golden retriever.

I found a seller online that had 6 week old pups in Sacramento. So on Friday we went to pet Smart and bought all of the dog supplies and then we were off to Sacramento. We named him Jake and as the little girl on Despicable Me says. . . . He's so fluffy!!!!! He loves the kids and outside and has a very good temperament. The first night I was prepared for the worse but he did so good and only whimpered and barked a few times and we took him out twice to go potty. Actually I say "we" but it was Kaitlyn and Derick who slept downstairs and took him out. We are having so much fun with him and it is so fun to see the kids having a pet that actually plays with them and runs toward them instead of hide from them.
I wouldn't be able to do this however if it wasn't for the crate training. The kids know that when he is in the house he has to stay in his crate and it just kills them. In fact as I write this Taylor just brought him in from outside and instead of getting him right in his crate she just started running around and "Jake" is chasing her. When we put him in the crate he whimpers for a little bit but then is fine.
I'm so glad that we got him and I am excited to see all the fun things we get to do with him.

Just look at that face!!!




Out hamster in his ball rolling around entertained Jake




Jake was so worn out and this is when Brett would get close to him. Brett isn't too fond of him right now since he is cute and cuddly and therefore. . . . competition. Jake loves running after Brett and playing with him but today Brett fell and Jake was licking and jumping on him and BRett was not very happy. Brett's favorite is when Jake is in the crate and he can just look at him.

1 comments:

XO, Jennifer Kiddle said...

A week in to a new dog ??????????? How's it going ?