Thursday, April 23, 2009

Gardening


So today was a beautiful day. Not scorching hot like the last 2 but warm with a cool breeze, and perfect weather for working outside. Today we built a little fence around our garden to keep "fluffy" the pet bunny, and Olivia and Taylor out. Last year Olivia and Taylor loved to pick all of the green tomatoes off the plant and come show me. Needless to say we didn't have many tomatoes to eat last year. This year we planted 2 tomato plants, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, squash, zucchini, and 2 different kinds of lettuce. The lettuce is ready to pick anytime and is so good. I love eating fresh fruits and veggies from our garden.


Before Picture



A few weeks a go we planted some trees. The little one is a peach tree that won't start growing fruit for 2 years. I think we are going to plant an orange tree and an avacado one as well. With such a big yard we have to do a little at a time.


Here is the zucchini and lettuce

8 comments:

Kristyn said...

An orange and avacado tree?? How fun!! I would love that. Awesome backyard. Ya gotta love the kids excitement with the garden! :)

Amy said...

Is your lettuce actually ready to eat now?? We are planting a garden this year, but haven't even started due to the snow!

Suzette said...

I'm so Jealous. I want to do a garden. How did you build your boxes? And do your sprinklers hit them or how did you irragate it? I would love a peach and avacado tree. YUM YUM!!!

GO Gray's said...

We built (ok James built) the boxes they were really easy and then he put little sprinklers in each corner of each box. Yeah my lettuce is ready to eat Amy. WE have to plant it early here because when it's hot it doesn't do well.

Loveable Luceros said...

Look at you.....You little gardener you. So do you have a funny hat yet or do I need to send you one?? I know I'll just take one of moms!! ha ha ha ha

Josh and Dana Carpenter said...

Your garden looks awesome. I can't wait until we get some plants into our baren back yard

Jennifer said...

you go girl! I am very impressed Ü Your side of the family clearly got all of the good genes !

Tim and Krista said...

Trish, Your yard is beautiful! The garden looks great, too. Dude, you are gonna have a ton of zucchini! Two plants is usually more than our family can eat! You can freeze it though and then all through the year you can make zucchini soup. I'll have to send ya the recipe. Our kids love it and it is great with cheese and bacon in it!!! I guess you can always share with the neighbors, too. I would love an orange tree! Gardening is pretty cool, huh? Your kids are so dang cute!!!