Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I've had enough!!!!

I feel our family has been loosing' it lately. It seems we are always snapping at eachother and the kids are constantly fighting and talking mean. SSOOOOO I made 2 charts today to help us. The first is for the kids. There are thumbs up (which is obviously if they are talking nice) and sad faces (not talking nice)
At the end of the day we see how they did. If they have 3 thumb ups they get to put a penny in their jar. Once they get 10 pennies they get to pick a prize ( Dollar store item, baskin robbins, date with mom or dad, bike ride, etc.
If they have 3 sad faces at any point during the day they have to choose one of their 3 priviledges (on the bottom of the chart) and I take it away for 24 hours. I then take off the sad faces and start again. If they again get 3 sad faces they choose another priviledge.
The envelopes below the chart have the thumb ups and sad faces in them.



The second chart was for me and James. It is a "bee" patient thermometer. When we start loosing our patience, us or the kids, can adjust the thermometer to show how we are reacting. Sidenote: After only a couple minutes of hanging this up I needed to slide mine up to "take a breath". I guess I've got some work to do!!!



9 comments:

Jeff said...

Seems pretty fun!

natalie said...

I'm totally going to copy you.

Cori said...

wow im impressed!! That is too cool!!

Jen said...

that is so fun!! go grays!

Suzette said...

So it's not just at my house? GREAT IDEA!!! I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to do with all the fighting. My problem is I'm not consistant when I start a great project. Tell me how it works out. I need a breather from all the fighting it's way out of control!!!!

Loveable Luceros said...

good idea.....BUT what do you and James have to take away if your being notty? Doesn't seem fair that the kids have to!! ha ha I like our Picture.

Roxy said...

OK Olivia - things are just getting too tough over there. Come on over to Auntie Roxy's and you can go through my purse. Did I tell you I went into the nursery on Sunday and she jumped up and pointed to my purse. That's my girl!!

Malia said...

Great idea!! I think we need to make one for our house. Here I thought it was only at my house where the kids tease, talk mean and fight. Hey, how about instead of having a reward be a toy from the dollar store, you save those pennies and the reward can be to take a trip to Iowa!!! YEAH!!

GO Gray's said...

That's a great idea Malia!!! And instead of pennies I'll use ten dollar bills. YES!!!!!